Yoga mats are an integral part of any yoga practice, and choosing the right one is an important part of your practice itself. If you pick the wrong type of mat, you’ll find yourself dealing with pains and injuries that are entirely avoidable. On the other hand, if you invest in a high-quality mat, you’ll be able to take your practice to new heights and maximize your overall experience.
It’s difficult to find the right mat that offers the perfect balance of both form and function. Some mats are too big or too small, some aren’t comfortable enough, and some mats are too soft or don’t offer enough cushioning. The most important factor is comfort. If you can’t comfortably assume a position without it hurting your body, then there’s no point in doing the pose at all. When shopping for a yoga mat, always consider how firm or soft the material is. For example, people who have sensitive knees might prefer using a softer mat that provides better cushioning than those with strong joints who need something firm to provide support.
Mats come in different sizes as well as thicknesses. The thicker the mat, typically the more expensive it will be so think about what kind of lifestyle you lead before purchasing one. Do you tend to move around during your practice? Or do you prefer staying put in one spot?
While some might find a yoga mat an optional item to buy, the experience can be enhanced with a good mat. With so many brands on the market, finding the best budget-friendly ones in India isn’t always easy. We’ve done all the hard work for you and compiled a list of five affordable mats that won’t break your wallet, but will give you the perfect balance of cushioning and stability!
- Manduka PROlite – This is one of Manduka’s most popular entry-level mats and has been voted by professionals as Best For The Money in Self Magazine’s 2011 Reader’s Choice Awards. It offers maximum cushioning from its dense, open cell polyurethane foam coupled with latex which gives it added stability. Its fabric top is made up of durable cotton making it both long-lasting and machine washable. An eco-friendly PVC-free rubber base prevents sliding during practice. All these features make this a great option for anyone looking for an affordable yet high-quality mat.
- Gaiam Restore – Its trademarked ThermaFit construction provides extra comfort and warmth while still providing enough grip to prevent slipping when doing standing poses. A deep keyhole channel at the end allows heat generated from contact with the body to flow through and escape during practice, keeping hands or feet cool during hot practices like Power Vinyasa or Bikram Yoga. Priced below Rs 2000, this is also a great option if you’re looking for something more budget-friendly yet doesn’t compromise on quality or durability.
- Manduka eKO SuperLite – Winner of Self Magazine’s 2015 Readers’ Choice Award for best Eco-Friendly Mat and 2016 Entrepreneurial Company of the Year, we had to include this one on our list. In order to create a non-slip surface and maintain durability, it uses a recycled EVA/EVA blend topped with natural tree rubber. To clean it just use water alone or soap and water; no need for detergents that can strip away the natural oils in material fibers.
- Shunyata Revolution – Made from 100% sustainable materials such as tree rubber (instead of synthetic) and natural cork, Shunyata mats are not only earth friendly but they are also durable too!
People who are looking for yoga mats need to be willing to make a few sacrifices when they’re shopping. Let’s start with price: there won’t be much in the way of deals. As yoga mats can range from a few dollars up. It’s also worth noting that you’ll need to find a mat that suits your personal tastes. As everyone will have their own unique preferences when it comes to thickness, grip, stickiness, and so on. If you’re interesting in top-quality products then look no further than Lululemon. The company not only makes high-quality mats but other yogi apparel like sweatpants and tanks. At around $70, these aren’t cheap either.
Traditional yoga mats offer more cushioning for beginners. Though some may prefer the thinner options because they’re lighter and easier to carry around if needed. Consider this option if you want something affordable that offers good support too. There is one thing to keep in mind: avoid using these types of mats if you’re using them outdoors or somewhere. Where there is too much dirt or dust (they don’t provide a lot of traction).
If you want something natural then this product is made from eco-friendly materials without any harsh chemicals add during production. On top of being environmentally friendly. It’s durable enough to stand up against all sorts of wear and tear during use.
Easy to Carry
It’s worth investing in a mat that is both sturdy and easy to carry. We love the Manduka eKO Lite Travel Mat as it folds up to about 1/4 thick. And weighs less than 3 pounds when you’re packing for travel. If you’re looking for something with a little more cushion, Gaiam makes some of the best, high-quality mat options around!
Finally, if you’re looking for a beautiful, luxurious option, Tara Mandala mats are made from natural tree rubber extracted from the sap of Hevea brasiliensis plants. Without cutting or destroying the tree so they last much longer than traditional materials and offer excellent grip even when wet.
Featuring both eco-friendly materials and technologies, these mats promote a healthier environment for you, your family, and our planet. So with this in mind, let’s take a look at some of the best yoga mats available on the market today!
- Lululemon Foldable EkoMat ($68) This mat is made from TPE (Thermoplastic Elastomer). Which is 100% free of PVC and EVA materials that release toxic fumes over time. These mats also come in an easy-to-fold format for ultimate portability to different locations – including for travel! They are light enough to carry around with one hand. But durable enough to handle tough terrains like concrete or wood floors. Plus, they’re super affordable too!
- Manduka eKO Superlite Travel Mat ($72) The eKO Superlite Travel Mat weighs just 2 pounds and folds up into a packable size of 4 x 10. It’s craft out of hypoallergenic foam so it won’t trap dirt or moisture against your skin while you practice. Plus it has two textured sides so there are plenty of options depending on what surface you prefer. Best of all, it comes with a handy strap so you can attach it to any bag or even wear it as a backpack when you’re traveling!
- Lululemon Yogitoes Towel Set ($98) Made from recycled water bottles. This towel set comes in a range of colors and patterns to match your personality. They’re perfect for hot yoga because they offer protection against slipping without trapping sweat, odor, bacteria, or germs like other towels do. And lastly? Once these towels have been use 20 times or more each week for three months straight. You can mail them back to lululemon to be recycle into new products!
It is easy to get overwhelm with all the different options in front of you when deciding which yoga mat is best for you. Start with the material you want, the brand you prefer and your budget. Once you answer these questions, it will be much easier to find the perfect mat for your practice.