The table below compares Progressives with three of the most popular auto insurance providers in the country: Geico, State Farm, and Allstate. We used side-by-side comparisons of three popular coverage levels, as well as claims satisfaction and financial strength ratings for each company.
This is just a high-flying comparison. Which company will work best for you will depend on your driver profile, your state of residence and the specific needs and preferences you have for your policy.
What to know about car insurance
When buying auto insurance, it is common to make the lowest premium the most important consideration. But there is a lot more to auto insurance than the premium.
Make sure you are adequately covered – the liability limits in your policy should roughly match your net worth. The state minimum coverage will be inadequate if your net worth is several hundred thousand dollars.
Auto insurance companies consider your credit score – the higher it is, the lower the premium.
Don’t skimp on coverage options – optional provisions such as GAP or uninsured / underinsured motorists are inexpensive compared to the benefit they offer.
A large deductible can lower your premium – but it can put you in financial strain if you don’t have the cash available to cover it.
Ask each company for all the discounts they have – not all of them are posted, and there may be others that will apply to you.
Shop, Shop, Shop – Get quotes from at least three or four companies to assess coverage and costs.
Other services offered by Progressive
Although auto and home insurance are Progressive’s main product lines, they also offer the following:
- Home insurance
- Business insurance
- Company owner policy
- Commercial auto insurance
- General responsibility
- Professional responsibility
- Worker’s salary
- Health, dental and visual insurance
- Coverage of electronic devices
- Life insurance
- Pet insurance
- Identity theft insurance
- Travel insurance
- Umbrella insurance
- Insurance for weddings and events
If any of the above situations apply to you, you may want to discuss them with a progressive representative when purchasing your auto insurance policy or if you already have a policy in place.
Progressive car insurance is one of the largest auto insurance companies in the country, covering over 13% of all drivers. Despite the below-average customer service ratings the company receives, it goes without saying that millions of consumers choose Progressive because of its benefits. The low premium structure in many states, as well as the large number of discounts, are the main reasons why.
When buying auto insurance, make sure you get quotes from different vendors. Everyone’s situation is different, and you may find the best combination of coverage and low premium with a company not necessarily known for cheap rates.
But when you are shopping for those quotes, Progressive should be one of the choices. They have what may be the simplest, no-obligation quote systems in the industry, one you should take advantage of when looking for a policy.
Frequently Asked Questions About Progressive Auto Insurance
Is Progressive Good Car Insurance?
Progressive rates slightly below average on claims satisfaction, but has a strong financial strength rating, which indicates a solid ability to pay claims. In most states, it is one of two or three low-cost auto insurance providers. They do this by offering one of the largest discount selections available in the industry. They also offer important niche options, such as rideshare coverage.
Is Progressive the cheapest insurance?
In most states, Progressive is one of two or three lowest-cost auto insurance companies. But this is not true in all states.
Why is progressive insurance so cheap?
Progressive tends to be one of the cheapest auto insurance companies because it offers so many discounts. Meanwhile, the Name-Your-Price tool allows drivers to select a premium tier, then have a policy built around that rate. This makes it easier to get a low prize from Progressive.
The company also operates entirely online, which means its operating costs are lower than insurance companies that have branch networks and a large number of agents.
How to sign up for progressive auto insurance
The application process can be completed entirely online, although it can also be done over the phone.
One of the features of the Progressive application process that we really appreciate is the ability to get quotes online. By entering basic information, we were able to get quotes for various driver profiles without having to enter sensitive information such as a social security number or phone number.
This is an important feature because some auto insurance companies only ask for basic information, but then only provide quotes by contacting you, by phone or by email. The progressive experience allows you to purchase a policy without running into repeated sales pressure or contact that you may not want.
While it is common for consumers to shop for the auto insurance provider with the lowest premium, there are several characteristics that set Progressive apart from the competition:
- Large number of discounts. Progressive offers one of the widest ranges of discounts in the auto insurance industry and advertises an average savings of $ 700 per year.
- Name your pricing instrument. You can build a policy based on the premium amount you can afford to pay. This is an excellent plus for anyone on a tight budget.
- They lose both big and small accidents. Premiums will not increase for claims below $ 500. Additionally, if you have been free of accidents and violations for at least three years and have been a progressive customer for at least five years, your rate will not increase after a major accident. This is one of the most flexible accident forgiveness programs in the industry.
- Rideshare coverage. This is a major add-on, with so many people now working in the gig economy.
Progressive auto insurance coverage options
Progressive offers standard auto insurance coverage provisions, including liability, collision and collision, uninsured / underinsured motorist, and medical payments.
Optional coverage provisions include the following:
- Loan / Lease Payoff (GAP). To pay the difference between the value of the vehicle and the amount due, up to 25% of the actual cash value.
- Car rental refund. Receive a refund for a rental car while your vehicle is in the repair shop.
- Value of custom parts and equipment. It covers up to $ 5,000 in components added after the vehicle is manufactured.
- Rideshare coverage. Provides coverage when you are logged into your ridesharing app and are waiting for a travel or customer request. Note that this option is not available in all states.
- Road assistance. Includes towing services, lockdown service, flat tire change, fuel / fluid delivery, and related issues.
- Deductible Savings Bank. It subtracts $ 50 from the full and collision deductible for each policy period without any accidents or violations. A $ 500 deductible can be reduced to zero after five years (ten policy periods of six months ease