Today’s Kemper Company was originally founded in April 1990 from Unitrin, Inc., then from Henry Singleton’s conglomerate Teledyne. Singleton expects the new joint venture to replicate the spin-off of the successful Argo Group (originally a workers’ compensation insurance provider) founded in 1986. Argonaut’s original $20 per share stock had appreciated 240% by 1990.
Singleton stayed on as chairman of Unitrin, Nasdaq after it was split to shareholders at $31.25 per share. Unitrin divides its business into three main categories: life and health insurance, property and casualty insurance, and consumer finance, covering a variety of services including auto and industrial loans.
In 2002, Unitrin purchased renewal rights for the homeowners and auto insurance product lines of Kemper Insurance, a Chicago-based long-term insurance and financial services company. In 2010, Unitrin purchased all rights to the Kemper name and began operations as Kemper Corporation on August 25, 2011, and is listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the KMPR symbol.
In November 2015, Joseph P. Lacher, Jr. was named President, Chief Executive Officer. Under Lacher’s leadership, Kemper’s annual revenue has grown 60% and its stock price has more than doubled.
The company unified and updated its branding in October 2018.
In July 2020, Kemper’s market cap was $4.97 billion.
In October 2020, Kemper ranked first. Ranked 11 on Fortune’s 100 Fastest Growing Companies of 2020.
In April 2015, Kemper acquired Alliance United Insurance Company, one of the fastest-growing auto insurance providers in the United States.
In July 2018, Kemper acquired auto insurance provider Infinity Property and Casualty Corporation (NASDAQ: IPCC), an auto insurance provider focused on serving special, non-standard areas, cash, and stock transaction valued at about $1.4 billion.
Through their business, Kemper:
- Provides auto, home, life, health, and valuables insurance
- Serving about 6.4 million policies
- Represented by over 30,000 agents and brokers
- Employs over 9,100 people dedicated to providing exceptional service
- Licensed to sell insurance in 50 states and the District of Columbia
Kemper Property Insurance Company:
Kemper’s Property and Casualty Insurance Division is one of the top 25 life insurance companies in the United States. Property insurance business includes the following four businesses:
- Kemper Personal Insurance offers affordable home and auto insurance options you can rely on to meet your needs
- Kemper Automotive offers affordable insurance solutions designed to meet the unique needs of each driver
- Kemper Auto | Infinity is a national auto insurance provider focused on non-standard auto insurance
- Kemper Auto | Alliance United provides coverage to Californians who may have difficulty obtaining or maintaining auto insurance
Kemper Life & Health Insurance:
Kemper’s Life and Health Insurance segment consist of the following businesses:
- Kemper Life offers affordable insurance options to keep loved ones peace of mind and financial security
- Kemper Health Insurance offers affordable coverage options that provide financial protection against the high costs of healthcare
- Its “National Reserve” business offers hospital, surgical, accident, supplemental, specific illness, and life insurance plans.
Getting A Kemper Auto Insurance Quote
You can get Kemper auto insurance quotes in a few different ways depending on the company you go through. If you’re looking for high-risk insurance coverage in California, you’ll have to contact a Kemper Specialty California agent directly. For high-risk coverage in other states or for standard auto insurance, you can receive a quote online. Make sure to have the following information handy:
- Your contact info and driving record
- The make, model, and vehicle identification number (VIN) of your car
- Contact info and driving records of other people on your policy
- Your current insurance coverage
Kemper Insurance Reviews
While the Kemper Corporation has an A+ rating from the BBB, customer satisfaction reviews shed a different light on the company. In fact, most BBB customer reviews gave the company a 1-star rating.
Kemper insurance reviews frequently mention a difficult claims process. To a file claim with the insurer, drivers need to call a 24/7 claims number, fill out an online form, or message an online chatbot.
As we mentioned above, people in California rated Kemper auto insurance below any other company in the J.D. Power 2020 U.S. Auto Insurance StudySM. The study took into the account shopping experience, claims process, customer service, and more. Unfortunately, Kemper doesn’t have enough customers in other states to make it into other studies by J.D. Power.
Kemper Technology And Apps
Kemper offers a mobile app to open a claim quickly. The app is designed to give drivers faster claims servicing overall, as they can quickly snap a photo of any damages. However, iPhone and Android users are not impressed with the app’s abilities. Many reviews mention frequent app crashes and issues with submitting more than one claims photo at a time.