MS Outlook is one of the most widely used email clients. It is an advanced and professional tool. The Microsoft product has won the trust of businesses across the globe by providing robust data management and security. If you use Microsoft Outlook, you may know that it supports two file extensions. One is PST and the other is OST. These files can store emails, contacts, notes, messages, and journals in sub-folders to manage data. The advanced search button helps to filter databases quickly and export IMAP OST file.
PST uses POP accounts to store data. The POP Protocol is an older email protocol. It helps to download emails locally and could be deleted from the server. If your MS Outlook uses POP, data will automatically save in the PST file extension. OST uses IMAP Internet Message Protocol. It is also a very popular protocol used by several email providers like Exchange Accounts and Office 365. If you are using the IMAP protocol for your MS Outlook, data will save in the OST file extension.
Reasons for Moving from OST to MS Outlook 2016 PST
There are various reasons that encourage users to switch from OST file extension to MS Outlook PST. Below are a few reasons for choosing PST over OST.
- If you delete an email from an OST file that is configured with Exchange Server, the deleted email of OST will automatically delete the same email from the server. In the case of accidental deletion or your emails from OST can make them inaccessible forever.
- Exchange servers can crash because of virus attacks, software problems, or poor internet connection.
- OST files can corrupt if users try to access IMAP on a different system without IMAP configuration. With the change of IMAP location, users need to change the OST file location.
- PST files can move to the local system while OST files can synchronize with the server.
- PST files can be backed up and restored automatically while OST requires synchronization with the server.
Solutions to Export from IMAP OST to MS Outlook 2016 PST
Despite OST and PST file extensions of MS Outlook, they don’t support each other. Users cannot access OST file data on PST directly. Export IMAP OST file to Personal Storage Table is the only way. Manual and automated conversion facilities are available. Manual conversion is suitable if you have limited files to export. For a larger number of OST files, an automated conversion is the best solution.
Step 1- Archive OST Databases to PST- Manual Conversion
Below are the steps to follow to archive OST files to PST.
Note: Use the archiving features to transfer IMAP OST file emails to PST.
- Access MS Outlook in offline mode to open the IMAP OST file.
- Go to the File menu and choose Options.
- It will open the options window, go to the Advanced option and press the AutoArchive Settings.
- It will open the AutoArchive dialog box. You can make modifications to archive recent files.
- Choose an output location to save the archived PST file, and press the OK tab.
After that, copy and save the exported file to the system where Outlook 2016 is installed. To move the recently created PST file, take the help of the Import/Export functionality of Outlook 2016.
Step 2- Import/Export PST to Outlook 2016
- Access your MS Outlook 2016 and click on the File tab
- Choose the Open & Export option and press the Import/Export tab
- The Import/Export wizard will open. From all your given options, select the ‘Import from another program or file’ and press the Next button
- After that, choose the Outlook data file (.pst) option and hit the Next button
- Navigate the recently created PST file and choose the ‘Replace duplicates with items imported’ option and press the Next tab
- As you select the file, it will feature in the Import Outlook Data File section. Check the ‘Import items into the same folder in’ option and press the Finish tab to end the process.
It is how the manual conversion solution will transfer data from OST to Personal Storage Table. The process is time-consuming and needs technical proficiency. The conversion process may take time if the file size is large.
Automated Conversion Solution
The above mentioned manual approach is suitable for users who have limited OST files to export to PST. If you have a bunch of OST files and you don’t want to take the risk of data loss, conversion with an automated solution is the best idea to consider. Softaken OST to PST Converter is a straightforward application to transfer data. The utility can export multiple OST files to PST regardless of the file size. Softaken is a leading MS Outlook third-party solution provider, offering a range of tools for years.
Softaken OST Converter is an all-in-one choice app because it exports OST in Personal Storage, EML, EMLX, MBOX, and HTML file extension. It is a complete program for data conversion. The utility is independent for conversion of data. It doesn’t need pre-installation of MS Outlook. The compatibility is excellent. It is compatible to support MS Outlook 2003, 2007, 2010, 2016, and 2021. The interface of the application is interactive. Without technical occupancy, users can use the app. The conversion tool exports OST data in bulk. It means users can export as many OST files as they desire at one go.
So, what are you planning to export IMAP OST file to Outlook PST? Go for the best application that can export OST data effortlessly. Manual conversion methods are tricky and consume time. They are not so reliable. You may lose your important information.