Given how captivating and thrilling the gaming industry is, there are sure to be some myths and misconceptions about it. As a matter of fact, there have been a lot of stale myths and misconceptions about the online gaming industry for years.
Most people are still hesitant to enter the world of online gaming and get deterred by some common misconceptions about the gaming community. Therefore, if you belong to this uninformed category, read on to learn the reality behind the fiction. Let’s take a look at some common myths and try to bust them.
1. Video Games make people violent: Unfortunately, we must begin with this false belief because it is one that some people still hold today and is actively harmful. It is untrue that playing violent video games makes people more violent in real life. Playing violent video games is similar to watching a bloody or violent movie. Can you call someone who enjoys action-filled Tarantino movies a violent person? No!
Years of research and several peer-reviewed studies have demonstrated that watching violent media has little connection to actual violence. It was a contentious issue for a long time, especially as video games gained popularity. There is no real correlation, and this misconception may take some time to dissipate.
2. Gamers don’t adjust well socially and are isolated and introverted: Untruly held by many, online gamers are stereotyped as introverted individuals who lack the desire to interact with others and spend their days alone in their dark bedrooms. People are reluctant to try playing online games because they believe they will become isolated from reality due to this distorted image of a lonesome gamer. One only needs to look at the released games to see how inaccurate that image is.
Since many people only play games with their friends when they can play them together, multiplayer games have become more and more popular. Some of the most well-known video games in the world are entirely cooperative and require players to interact and cooperate. The stereotype that gamers are all loners no longer holds any water when you look at the current trends in the gaming industry. Online games have connected people worldwide, giving them a place to connect, share experiences, and frequently chat, especially with the safety risks of meeting in person.
3. Gaming is only for boys: It’s probably one of the most widespread misconceptions about online gaming that there aren’t many female players. Women are increasingly playing video games, even though men have historically been more likely to do so. According to statistics, women are competitive and active in online gaming, especially in the Asian gaming market. The online gaming industry has taken note of these trends by developing strong, independent female game characters and targeting female gamers specifically.
4. There is no learning experience involved in gaming: This myth is prevalent despite being completely false, especially if we look at the current state of the gaming industry. There are loads of games online which have proved to provide very enriching learning experiences.
5. Lack of variety in online gaming: This is a ridiculous misconception about the gaming industry, given that there are hundreds of genres of games to choose from. You have infinite options to choose from, including role-playing games, simulation games, sports competitions, free roam games, and online casinos. Monotony won’t be an issue as soon as you start your gaming journey. The gaming industry constantly evolves, offering users cutting-edge graphics, fresh narratives, vivid characters, and exciting missions and tasks to complete.
6. Online gaming is very addictive: Though you can easily get addicted to gaming. But the fact that gaming is seriously addictive is not entirely correct. Many people have the impression that gamers spend all their time glued to their screens, neglecting everything else around them as they sit in darkened rooms. Only a small portion of gamers take their gameplay so seriously. Gamers typically play video games for shorter periods, and the number of casual gamers has increased significantly in recent years. Not everyone who plays video games views them as the centre of their existence.
7. You need consoles to play games: More than just console games are involved in gaming. 1.3 billion people are online, and 510 million play online games. Most people never play games on consoles because that number is significantly higher than the number of consoles sold. Over the years, the quality of online games has dramatically increased, and many classic console games are now also accessible online. Consoles are no longer necessary for fantastic gaming experiences.
These are just a few myths and stereotypes that affect the gaming community and its patrons. The many factors mentioned above have duped many potential gamers. This article should encourage you to eliminate the annoying preconceptions about online gaming and to hop into the gaming arena. It’s best to gain first-hand experience and test the waters rather than rely on what other people say if you want to determine whether online gaming will end up being your new favourite pastime.