What is art? The question has been asked many times and many people have come up with their own meaning. The truth is that it is hard to define art. Artists have many different styles but there is one thing they have in common, they are all better at defining art than you and I! A piece of the art gallery to sell art are both such interesting topics.
Art is defined by Merriam Webster as “the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.” I will be discussing the importance of art in our lives, the difference between “fine art” and “commercial art”, and why art is not a commodity. The art world is a complex and interesting one and it’s often filled with a lot of noise.
Art is a very subjective term with no general consensus on its meaning. Art is also an elusive phenomenon since there is no consensus on what is or what not art is. It is very hard to define art, but one thing for sure is that art has had and continues to have a huge impact on our society.
How can a Painting be Described?
Paintings were found to be the great art of human beings. Additionally, they took great interest in the gallery to sell paintings or artwork collectively. Paintings reflect our history and culture through artworks. Therefore, to understand and enjoy paintings is to understand and have an interest in human history. A painting is created when the paint is applied to a surface and the surface is then allowed to dry or harden. The term painting is most often applied to works of art that are created by applying paint to a surface (flat surface and/or large surface areas) such as paper, canvas, or a wall. Painting is a mode of artistic expression, and the forms are numerous and diverse.
Many people see painting as the art of expressing thoughts and feelings with a combination of colors. However, when it comes to the canvas and the brush, the thing that they are trying to convey is not that simple to convey, which makes the art of painting so unique. Painting is seen to be the kind of art that is done by painters and projected on a wall but there is a lot more to it than that. There is a lot about the art of painting that most people are not aware of.
Why Do People Sell Paintings?
Artists have always been looked at in a different light, some see them as crazy for not being content with the normal 9-5 lifestyle, and others just think they’re plain crazy. Well, the truth is that artists are often struggling to make ends meet and if they want to keep doing what they love they need to make a living, hence why people sell paintings.
A gallery selling artwork attracts more people than a museum. There are many people who are passionate about art, but they don’t know the market value of their paintings. As a matter of fact, there are many sellers who have already sold their paintings for a discount. Hence, if you are thinking of selling paintings online, you should know how to do it.
Best Art Galleries to Sell Paintings
Some of the best art galleries around the world are mentioned below;
- The Louvre, France
- The Louvre museum, which is located in Central Paris, was built originally as a fortress in the 12th century. It is one of the oldest museums and opened its doors in the year 1793. According to perfect cv, it is the largest as well as the most popular museum worldwide. The Louvre alone got 7.3 million visitors in the year 2016. It contains over 38 thousand artifacts in eight specific departments. The most iconic of these artifacts is Mona Lisa by Leonardo Da Vinci.
- Van Gogh Museum, Netherlands
- Van Gogh museum, as the name suggests, is solely dedicated to Van Gogh’s artwork. This museum has the largest collection of his artworks worldwide – 13,000 pieces. Established in the year 1976, it is based in Amsterdam and gets visited by over 2 million people each year. His iconic paintings which include Self-Portrait, Sunflowers, and The Potato Eaters are kept there.
- Rijksmuseum, Netherlands
- This museum was founded in the year 1800 in The Hague and later, in 1808, moved to Amsterdam. The main building of the museum was designed by Pierre Cuypers and was opened for visitors in 1885. The museum re-opened after a ten-year renovation project in 2013. There are displayed 8,000 artifacts of art and history and a collection of 1 million objects from the years 1200 to 2000. In addition to this collection, there are masterpieces of world-famous artists namely; Frans Hals, Johannes Vermeer, and Rembrandt. This art gallery attracts over 2.5 million visitors annually being the 17th most popular museum globally.
- State hermitage, Russia
- The State Hermitage Museum, located in St. Petersburg, occupies an area of 700,000 square feet. It is one of the largest museums in the world. It is the 8th most visited museum in the world, boasting around 4.1 million visitors. This museum displays pieces from some famous artists like; Da Vinci, Picasso, and Rembrandt. It became the largest display of paintings in the world, exhibiting over 3 million pieces.
- British Museum, U.K.
- The British Museum, which was built in 1759, is based in London. It has the largest collection in the world of artifacts, around 8 million. It is the third most visited museum with 6.8 million visitors over the year. In addition to this, it is the second oldest art museum in the overall rankings. It displays pieces related to art, human history, and culture. It not only contains pieces from famous artists like Da Vinci, Michelangelo, and Van Gogh but houses historical artifacts like the Rosetta stone and the Mummy of Katebet as well.