Launched by the National Health Authority (NHA), the Ayushman Bharat Health Account came into play in the Indian system of healthcare. This initiative began in 2021 after the devastating consequences of the pandemic revealed the transparently apparent discrepancies and gaps in the medical facilities of the country. It was previously known as the Ayushman Bharat Health ID and the government called it the “first step towards creating safer and efficient digital health records for you and your family”
The ABHA card is a unique health ID that consists of 14 randomly selected numbers that are exclusive to each person who registers for the card. This can be generated easily with the help of your Aadhar number, phone number, or your driving license. One of the most important features of this card that makes it accessible to all the citizens of India is the fact that it can be generated without any cost. This was considered a huge win to smoothen out any discrepancies that created barriers regarding access to healthcare across people from different socio-economic backgrounds.
Having an Ayushman Bharat card can be supremely beneficial for many different reasons. If you have not applied for the card, here is why you should consider doing so:
- Storing medical records digitally – Your medical tests, reports, and records can be extensive. This means carrying a bundle of papers to each healthcare professional that you have to visit. However, this can get highly taxing and cumbersome. Not only carrying the records but also keeping them intact in one place in the right order can sometimes be vital for medical diagnoses. This can get easy when you have all these documents digitized on an online platform. This unique health card can be your one-stop solution to store all the relevant information and data regarding your health. From your history to any other diagnostic reports or scans, store everything on this platform
- Easy access to medical records – You can access the records whenever you want via the official website and you can also link your Cowin and details to the same. All you will have to do is input your 14-digit unique health ID code on the platform to view all the data that you have entered. You can also edit this information at any given point in time if you feel the need to. Additionally, by sharing this unique ID with any other person or medical professional, they will also be able to access the data. Hospitals, clinics, insurance providers, etc, you can choose whom you give access.
- Voluntary and consensual grant of access to information – If you are wondering whether putting your private information about your health on any digital platform can give anyone viewership of the same, you do not have to worry. The reason that you receive a 14-digit ID that is completely random in its generation is for precaution. Only if you share this digital ID with someone, can they check your data. Visiting hospitals or doctors out of the city or when you are going for a check-up can be when you share this ID. Since medical professionals are also given access to the platform, when you share your code, they can review the relevant information. You can revoke your access and delete your information whenever you deem fit.
- Safe and encrypted – The platform is based on diligent coding and highly secure backgrounds. This means that it will not be susceptible to hacking or tampering. It is not likely that your records will get deleted or misused in any way. The government of India has created strict measures to ensure the safety of all citizens who choose to register themselves on the medium.
- Information about healthcare centers – This platform will also give you all the details and information about medical professionals across the country. You can browse through the Healthcare Professional Registry (HPR) which is a compilation of all the doctors in India with their details. This list will also have information about the government and private medical facilities in the country. You can also use this card in case you are opting for AYUSH treatments – Ayurveda, Yoga, Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, and Homeopathy.
Your unique health ID card will provide you with these and many more benefits. This can help you better your medical treatment protocols and carry them out with ease. Since this card is universally applicable throughout the country – you can find its advantages everywhere.